How to complain about a fitness/exercise facility, or exercise professional in New Zealand
If you wish to make a complaint about a fitness centre/health club, or an exercise professional, we recommend that the first step you take is to complain directly to the facility or person concerned. If they do not reply, or you are not satisfied with their reply, then you may be able to lay a formal complaint with either FitnessNZ or the New Zealand Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs). If you do wish to do this, please read the information on this page.
You can then complain to FitnessNZ outlining
(1) What your complaint is about, and at which facility
(2) What part of the FitnessNZ code of ethics is being breached
(3) What communication you have had with the club in the past about the issue, and what their response has been
(4) What outcome you would like as a result
(5) Your details (full name, contact details)
All complaints should be made in writing to FitnessNZ, PO Box 22114 Christchurch 8142
Laying a complaint with the NZ Register of Exercise Professionals.
To complain to REPs, the facility or person must be registered with REPs. REPs operates an online search engine, so it’s very easy to see if a facility is registered.
Click here to go to the search engine. The search engine also lists Personal Trainers, however there are many more individuals registered that the search engine shows, so you can also email REPs to check if an individual is registered. If a person or a facility is registered with REPs you can complain on one of two grounds:
(1) That an individual has broken the REPs Code of Ethical Conduct (this document can be found by clicking here)
You can then complain to REPs outlining
Complaints should be made in writing to: REPs PO Box 22374 Christchurch 8142
When a complaint is received this will be acknowledged, this communication will also outline the process to be followed (as outlined below):